Friday 11 December 2015

Evaluation

My objective this year was to create a selection of character designs suitable for my portfolio.
By the time of submission, I have met the brief and created the set amount of pages. This year also, I think I have grasped the concept of character design more so than ever before. I have become a lot more focused on picking out shapes for silhouettes and it has made me realise the ideas and the research and the wide variety and selection of concepts before a final design are the most important parts of character concepting.

Because of this, I have decided that actually, I dont think character concept art is necessarily the area for me. I really like creating very detailed illustrations, and with the detailed drawing style I like to work in, doing many multiple concepts makes me feel rushed and being unable to work up all the designs to a great standard because of the variations I must produce I actually find irritating. I think next semester, whilst I still want to focus on characters (because characters are the thing I find most fin to draw) I want to focus more on illustration than on concepting. I think creating large, lush illustrations will be more enjoyable for me than doing concepts so I think I'll take on, in my self written project, a brief more like the ones suggested this year where the aim was to produce art/covers for books such as Dorian Gray ect.

Character concept art was always the area I assumed I wanted to go into because I liked drawing people, but after finally discovering more about the industry and processes, I'm going to use next semester to explore other areas to see if I can develop my skills in other ways and maybe find something I actually enjoy doing more.

EDIT: I wish I'd pushed the unnatural conventions more as described in the brief and gone for a less human design.

0 comments:

Post a Comment