Monday 23 November 2015

Slight Update

I had to add a bit of shading to the back skirt bit, underneath the skirt bit at the front to make it stand out, cause it was really bugging me.

And

I know I said I wasn't gonna spend hours painting up these tonal sheets, (well, I actually said that about colour, but you know.) But this did take all day.

NOt to actually draw but there was a lot more thinking involved than I would have thought at first. I usually jump straight in from sketch to colour and work out shapes along the way so working from a strict lineart to a tonal sheet was a challenge for me.


  • Because I usually ignore tonal stage and go straight for colour I think I must usually ignore a lot of value rules and rely on the depth of colour to sort of, paint value for me you know, blue recedes red pops, that sort of thing) because I found this very difficult. Especially painting fabric without colour was hard, usually you can rely on colour to portray richness or shabbyness ect but only using b&w, well, browns. made this impossible. Basically I had to think a lot more about what level of colour to use where. 
  • This was especially important in making the design stand out. I think I've "got" character design this semester a lot more than I have before. I am thinking a lot more about shape and value and the way that it can best showcase the design, rather than just thinking about painting a pretty picture. This is also why I think this has been so hard. Usually I just put tone where the light would be or something. Here I have had to use it to best show off focal points of the design. I've also had to put a lot of thought in to what those are and how they are best "lit"to convey the design to the client. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment